InWorldz

Where your Dreams are our Vision!

It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:41 pm | All times are UTC - 6 hours
 Page 1 of 13 [ 130 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: What's going to happen to the forums?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:06 am 

From another thread:
Elenia:
Tranq pointed this out over a year ago: our forums have literally cost us thousands of dollars in customers. Over the course of the last 2 weeks, we have revisited the idea that these forums are not worth the headache and moderation levels that have been required as of late.
----------------------------------------------------

Well, no need to do that; just make the forums technical discussions only; scripting, building, using the viewer and so on. Personal opinions like "Why Are People Leaving" or "Viewer A Is Better Than Viewer B" can go onto blogs.

If you do decide to close them, before you do, please make the forums read-only for a month or so to give us time to read it all and copy/paste the good info before it's all lost.
or
Leave the forums in place but remove everybody's (except Founders, Grid Monkey's and ????) accounts. The new forum can contain the tech archives and only new announcements.
---------------------------------
I vote for tech-only though. These forums are a good source of information and help with problems. The cat pix and person opinions can go on blogs.

/me runs off to quickly read through 87,000 posts to copy the scripts and other good info out of the threads.

Last edited by LoganStargazer on Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: The loss of the forums
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:09 am 

What Logan said plus allow the nothing thread to live :D

That thread is my therapy :blue:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:04 pm 
Admin

The consideration is only about the General InWorldz section, so a removal of all "open" type boards. Tech support, Mentors, Classifieds would all stay put.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:15 pm 

To start with, "this thread" should not have been allowed to start, simply from its title. The reason is that saying that the members decrease is a self-fulfilling prophecy, and only few Internet companies afford to leave such counter-advertising on their forums. We users don't need it either, as what hurts the company hurts us all.

This done, there is no need to reduce the forums to technical discussions only. A forum is also a great way to communicate between community members, announce events, advertise products, comment, show, etc. Even the open boards play an important role, and removing them would make the community blind or heartless. Just that moderation must be more prompt.

Also, I retain the lesson: if some day I have a topic prone to attacks (3 different attacks on the same topic recently) I shall post it in classified. This way I can ask iwMod to delete toxic comments, while retaining the constructive ones ones. Fortunately the community was very helpful on the same topic.

:)

"Shedrupling University" science
YichTrains Elven Works Lysaer Gortax Robots

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:50 pm 

Yichard wrote:
This done, there is no need to reduce the forums to technical discussions only. A forum is also a great way to communicate between community members, announce events, advertise products, comment, show, etc.
All of the notification categories would remain. Events notices, product ads, other classifieds, grid notices, etc. It's just that the general discussion and off-topic sections would not.

There is a feeling among a small percentage of users that the forums are intended as a social hub, and for just a few dominant users (that probably includes me), it can be used in a problematic way as a soapbox to shout controversial opinions and editorials (and general rants) that do nothing but inflame wounds and hurt people. It's a toxic environment that shouldn't be an official part of InWorldz. If people want to have their own blogs and shout obscenities at each other or insult or berate others' opinions, or post it to Twitter or Facebook, then by all means, that's partly why those social networks exist. (This is also the reason I'm removing my Facebook avatar account again. I'll stick with Twitter which for me has been a positive, constructive, productive, informative experience.)

InWorldz doesn't have the staff (and cannot really use volunteers) to deal with this. It can be controlled a bit, but what has been shown repeatedly is that it's only partly effective and the ineffective part can be toxic.

Here are I think the key points:
- It's not InWorldz' core business, we are not a social network like Facebook, we're a software development organization providing an online service (a different service than web-based social network).
- There is no need for InWorldz to directly provide a soapbox for people to stand on (if someone wants to rant, let them do it on their own blog with people already reading them, not ours).
- Many discussions are driven by egos which do not permit compromise, and that leads to a toxicity that causes a loss of residents who just don't want to fight, among other problems such as disappointment and frustration by those who do, and avoidance of the useful forum info such as important events, grid notices and relevant shop ads. (Losing the folks who don't want to fight is a tragedy.)
- We shouldn't be losing any time on this (and it has costed a lot). We should be responding to support tickets and fixing bugs and planning and adding enhancements. We need to focus on that stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:53 pm 

So where would a returning old resident post to say they're back ?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:59 pm 

ok, Jim, but if you do this, we all know very well that it is not you or the company to blame.

"Shedrupling University" science
YichTrains Elven Works Lysaer Gortax Robots

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:06 pm 

It's a sad thing to see but I wouldn't blame the founders for removing the "general discussion" aspect of the forums and the flaming rants and feuds it seems to engender. Unhappy people are louder than happy ones, it's just the way the world is. I used to run a software support team and we took "thank you" emails and stuck them on wall. It wasn't a big wall, it didn't need to be. Does a small team want to be firefighting negativity and aggression? I wouldn't. It also contaminates the useful info and advertising.

If that does go then it will greatly reduce the the traffic, I am sure, which will further reduce the already limited audience for important notices, but many have already said that we should be doing that another way anyhow.

A few spoil it for the rest, but that too is life.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:10 pm 

Arkady Arkright wrote:
There are some generally positive threads I'd love to see remain, but we'd need to be careful to draw a clear line between resident notices and being a social platform.

Perhaps that one could be moved to Grid Notices or something similar, or even better, maybe we just create a "User Notices" or "Resident Notices" category for notifications from the InWorldz residents. Might be nice to have a single thread for each resident notice category: like birthdays, rez days, deaths, illnesses, new arrivals and other notices that don't come from InWorldz but residents would like to be aware of.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:16 pm 

You see that's the thing. Why should we need to do that on a forum?. We can do that sort of thing in world, to our friends and send out group messages. Maybe it will get people in world communicating much more.

Arkady Arkright wrote:

Page 1 of 13 [ 130 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next