InWorldz

Where your Dreams are our Vision!

It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:59 pm | All times are UTC - 6 hours
 Page 1 of 4 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: SXSW Events Sims
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:37 am 
Admin

A huge thank you to everyone involved in the SXSW Events sims. I went through a vast majority of them this morning, and they are truly beautiful with a lot of thought given to making it a wonderful experience for the event.

If you weren't involved, I do encourage everyone to stop by for a while and check it out. This isn't about selling anything as far as merchants go, it's simply a beautifully laid out set of sims that show the potential of our residents and their imaginations.

Again, thank you to all our volunteers for helping to make this an awesome event!

Post subject: Re: SXSW Events Sims
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:09 am 

I visited several of the sims yesterday. They are quite lovely. Congratulations to everyone who has been involved.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:22 am 

True. They are a stunning landscape, where the usual square grid is not much visible. It is a pleasure to build here
:-)

"Shedrupling University" science
YichTrains Elven Works Lysaer Gortax Robots

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:31 pm 

It is an honor to be there, and the builds are indeed extraordinary.

I had a ton of fun with a bunch of other avis testing Arkady's sky tram on the Transportation sim yesterday! Consequently, got a very good look at Wizard Gynoid's STUNNING installation. It is a Must-See for everybody.

I really hope my little contribution adds to InWorldz's success at SXSW!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:41 pm 

it has been fun recreating part of Underworld on the transportaion sim..hopefully ill have it all buttoned up by thursday-..so many details..so little time :splat:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:03 pm 

alizarin goldflake wrote:
It is an honor to be there, and the builds are indeed extraordinary.

Is indeed. One thing I enjoyed about participating in this is it made me feel I was really contributing something to a grid I've come to really enjoy (beyond tier fees of course). ;D

People are going all-out to present their best there. When the people from SxSW drop in to see what's going on... they should be very pleased.

Speaking of new people coming in-- just the other night IDI was flooded so I hung around a while to help TT process newcomers. I had forgotten how steep a learning curve these VR worlds can be for those who have never used them before.

So as a thought in this: I'd recommend having a very simple, fast-to-read notecard explaining to newcomers the basic functions they'll need to know to use Inworldz at SxSW... along with assurance that more advanced functions are easy to learn. If they know how to move, fly and open a box... they'll be fine until they come back later.

What kinda notecard? Something very, very simple and intuitive. Example:

====
Welcome to Inworldz!
Easy starter instructions:

Move: Arrow keys or ASDW
Fly: PgUp or E (PgDn or C to land)
To open a box: Drag it from your inventory to the ground, right click and choose OPEN.

At this time we invite and encourage you to explore the areas you will find here. Then later when you return you can learn how to change your appearance, visit other lands, and even build your own wondrous creations.

======

Can anyone think of anything else that would be absolutely essential for a newb?

Important: I did note someone yesterday had severe lag and when we checked their settings, those settings had defaulted to HIGH. However... they were using a low-end laptop with slow internet. They could barely move. That might need to be checked real quick before event starts. System settings are going to be very important for newbs or only the high-end computer users will be happy. :-)

Check out the DragonForge Emporium at http://places.inworldz.com/ElvenSong/237/37/43. Avatars, building tools, sailing ships, Doctor Who and Stargate items, lots of unique merchandise, and of course Dwagons!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:37 am 

Snoots wrote:

:doh: I have been sitting in front of a computer for the last...uhm... 25 years at the very least- I have NEVER noticed those little arrow thingies on those keys before!! EVER!! (There is also a teeny "s" in a little funky looking box and a camera on my "v" - proly interdimensional portal and handy foto taking device...)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:31 am 

alizarin goldflake wrote:
I had a ton of fun with a bunch of other avis testing Arkady's sky tram on the Transportation sim yesterday!

Slight correction, it was Wizards' Gynoid B' sim, not the Transportation sim.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:06 pm 

Quote:
So as a thought in this: I'd recommend having a very simple, fast-to-read notecard explaining to newcomers the basic functions they'll need to know to use Inworldz at SxSW... along with assurance that more advanced functions are easy to learn. If they know how to move, fly and open a box... they'll be fine until they come back later.

What kinda notecard? Something very, very simple and intuitive. Example:
====
Welcome to Inworldz!
Easy starter instructions:

Fly: PgUp or E (PgDn or C to land)
To open a box: Drag it from your inventory to the ground, right click and choose OPEN.

At this time we invite and encourage you to explore the areas you will find here. Then later when you return you can learn how to change your appearance, visit other lands, and even build your own wondrous creations.

======

Can anyone think of anything else that would be absolutely essential for a newb?

Alt-arrows, alt-page up, alt-page down for camera control are almost as important as movement controls.

A 'cheat sheet' of keyboard shortcuts is a great idea, for some people this is easier than figuring out menus and where to click.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:08 am 

Oh you're right Tracer! I forgot entirely about zooming in and mouselook. Good catch.

Uhhh... what does Alt-PgUp and Alt-PgDn do? You mean I been on VR 8+ years and missed some vital controls I coulda been using all this time?

:splat:

Check out the DragonForge Emporium at http://places.inworldz.com/ElvenSong/237/37/43. Avatars, building tools, sailing ships, Doctor Who and Stargate items, lots of unique merchandise, and of course Dwagons!

Page 1 of 4 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next