InWorldz

Where your Dreams are our Vision!

It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:30 am | All times are UTC - 6 hours
 Page 1 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Sphere won't resolve properly as child-prim
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:46 pm 

I have a simple object made of a sphere and a pyramid. If the pyramid is the root and the sphere the child prim, on rezzing the sphere displays as an icosahedron until I move my view closer. If the sphere is the root and the pyramid is the child, both prims rezz correctly. My LOD is 4.0. Both objects are the same distance from my avatar. This happens on both viewer 2 and viewer 3.

Post subject: Re: Sphere won't resolve properly as child-prim
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:28 pm 

Arkady Arkright wrote:
My LOD is 4.0.
I don't think the regular prims objects use that; I think they precede those settings.

Is your detail level for "Objects" set to the highest value?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:01 am 

Jim Tarber wrote:
Is your detail level for "Objects" set to the highest value?

Yes.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:02 am 

This is definitely happening, and is consistent on both viewers 2 and 3. I have two copies of an object consisting of a sphere on top of a pyramid. They are identical, except in respect of which prim is the root. When I rez them the one with a sphere as the root shows as it should, but the one with the pyramid as the root shows the sphere as an icosohedron until I move my viewpoint towards it. See attached image.
Attachment:
weirdsphere.png
weirdsphere.png [ 135.26 KiB | Viewed 2986 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:00 am 

I've done some more tests. Exactly the same thing happens with Firestorm and Singularity. With CoolVL it happens momentarily when rezzed, but changes to a 'proper' sphere within a fraction of a second.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:11 am 

Curiosity got the best of me, and I tried the same.

I am seeing the exact same behavior.
I am on Firestorm, did the test on my sim Dragon Hearts.
Sim was running 0.9.23.5942

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:27 am 

this appears to be true of link sets in general .. whether all prims or various combinations of prim/sculpt/mesh... any root prim seems to get a "priority render" (for lack of a better descriptive) and/but "children" either resolve after a lengthy (several seconds or longer) delay and/or after (I want to say "substantial") camera movement.

ETA: I wasn't "consciously" aware that this was what I was seeing till Ark described it in the way he did.

The Almighty tells me he can get me out of this mess, but he's pretty sure you're sporked.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:08 am 

I've just tried this on SL with Firestorm. Over there the problem doesn't exist, all prims rezz as they should immediately. As the same Firestorm shows it here but not there it suggests it's something to do with the data coming down from the IW server.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:06 am 

Done some more tests. The problem (using FS) exists on the TAG grid, OSGRID and 3rd Rock - so it looks like it's common to all OpenSim derived grids. Furthermore, the sphere 'resolves' when the camera viewpoint is moved in any direction, so it looks as if OS grids in general are not fully rezzing child prims until the camera moves.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:35 am 

Arkady Arkright wrote:
Done some more tests. The problem (using FS) exists on the TAG grid, OSGRID and 3rd Rock - so it looks like it's common to all OpenSim derived grids. Furthermore, the sphere 'resolves' when the camera viewpoint is moved in any direction, so it looks as if OS grids in general are not fully rezzing child prims until the camera moves.
It doesn't make any sense for this to be server-side; we only have full updates and terse (movement, rotation) updates. When you first see the object, that's a full update. We only tell the viewer that it's a sphere and the dimensions, etc. It's not like the server sends down a mesh shape for the sphere. From the server side, either you should see the prim or not see it at all. Also we don't treat child prims any differently than root prims.

I'm not sure why you're seeing it fine on SL but not OpenSim grids. The camera movement does cause a recalc of which prims to show, but doesn't change (at the server end) how they are shown.

Perhaps the problem isn't related to the prims them all but something more to do with the initial camera position, or something like that. There could be a server-side difference in how the avatar is initialized, but I would think the viewer initializes the starting camera position, so there's nothing for the server to notify the viewer about at initialization time.

Regarding the child prim difference, if you take one of the "good" objects, shift-copy it, unlink the prims and relink them in the other order, does it become a "bad" object?

I think you've focused the problem enough now that I can do some tests and hopefully reproduce it.

When you first asked, I thought you were referring to the slightly flattened sphere in your "good" image, which still isn't quite a smooth round sphere, just close enough and what we're used to for years. But the poorly resolved one is very unresolved.

Page 1 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next