InWorldz

Where your Dreams are our Vision!

It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:44 pm | All times are UTC - 6 hours
 Page 71 of 73 [ 721 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73  Next
 Post subject: Re: InWorldz 3.0.2 Viewer
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:05 am 

Just an FYI for future reference:

This is the most current information available with regards to OS versions as they pertain to Firestorm viewer offerings
(as of April 7th, 2016)
Quote:
... Win XP and Mac OSX 10.6 users cannot use more recent versions of Firestorm because LL updated the infrastructure for compiling the viewer after our 4.6.9 release. The technical explanation would be much more detailed, but put in the simplest terms, the [subsequent versions & the current version: 4.7.7] viewer can no longer be compiled to run on Windows XP or Mac OSX 10.6

The full commentary is HERE.

The Almighty tells me he can get me out of this mess, but he's pretty sure you're sporked.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:24 am 

Ah ok, thanks Benski :tup:

Benski wrote:
It does work, but weirdly not directly from your profile.
Picks and Classifieds are edited through the Me menu

It's a few pages back in here:

http://www.inworldz.com/forums/viewtopi ... 65#p202565

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:57 pm 

Ok small question...
Unchecking "receive group instant messages" is a default function introduced by LL.

After a question from a New Resident, I have been all over viewer 3 to find this... I cannot find it...

Either I am missing something, or this basic function is gone???
The new resident left the Welcome Group to stop the messages...

:omg:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:31 pm 

Benski wrote:
Ok small question...
Unchecking "receive group instant messages" is a default function introduced by LL.

After a question from a New Resident, I have been all over viewer 3 to find this... I cannot find it...

Either I am missing something, or this basic function is gone???
The new resident left the Welcome Group to stop the messages...

:omg:

In Firestorm it is on the general tab of the group profiles. Whatever the equivalent of that is in IW3 might be a place to look.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:25 am 

I found the checkmark for Notices and Show in profile but not group chat.

It's indeed in general in pretty much all other viewers I know.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:37 pm 

Mortus wrote:
An update on the progress of a new version. Is there a rough time frame as of yet? Just a little communication on the progress would be nice.

Using this as an excuse to bump this thread back onto the active threads list. :geek:

As mentioned in the other thread, a lot of work has been done to support some of the suggestions already, but even more work to keep the viewer code base up to date with the fairly significant enhancements that LL has been doing to the viewer since the last IW3 viewer was posted. We're currently reviewing the suggestions from this thread, making a list (Benski's list in his online doc is a great start).

The idea though is to focus on things that are present in your favourite viewer that are absent from IW3, especially things that were present in IW2 that were lost in the IW3 resync with the upstream SL viewer code. We can carefully add some of those things to the LL/Alchemy viewer, still minimizing the divergences from the standard SL viewer, and maintain the ability to stay on top of the latest code.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:44 pm 

Some people complained in another thread, that the IW3 gives them "a headache" and "burning eyes". Since Jim invited us to report any issue in the present thread, I try to give general explanations here.

Personally I do not feel this with the iW3/SL3, but I too have a general bad feeling with the interface.
:roll: -Wrong interface: When we discover the IW3, we are totally lost. Well, some complained it is too complex, but this is not the issue: I never felt lost with the SL1 viewer. It had many menus, but we just had to test them all, or to ignore the ones we do not understand. The IW3/SL3 interface is much more troublesome, as it hides essential functions: cryptic icons, hard to find functions, icons which all look the same, riddles to open this and that, having to search on top, on the right, on the left, on bottom... even after several months there are still common functions I could not find. Even for a seasoned user, the IW3 is unusable, not to speak of a newbie.
:geek: difficult color scheme All happens as if the SL3 designers loved so much the black, that they put it everywhere. Problem, black on black with dark grey details, it becomes very hard to see. I am lucky to enjoy an excellent vision (with glasses), but even so it is impossible to see a black field in a black frame, for instance the fields where we type our loggin. I know that the fields are here, so I click at guess, but for a total newbie the login window is just randomly placed characters with no hint of what to do with them.
:ugeek: This lack of contrast forces the eyes, and in doing so by reflexe the eyelids don't bat. This can fairly well explain why some feel burning eyes with this viewer. (general note here: people feeling burning eyes with computers can use "artificial tears" eyedrops. I was given "lacryfluid" by my physician, and it saved my virtual life)
:twisted: ugly colours that I summarise with "hearse look". Well, an interface has to be in some colour anyway, but since we may visit all kind of places, it has to be neutral. So the grey-brown colour of the SL1 viewer was not nice, but finally I preferred it, because it was neutral. The black everywhere of the IW3/SL3 is not neutral. It may fit some vampire theme, but in all other cases it totally spoils the vision, as if we were seeing the world through a cop's car window. (nothing against cops, but we would love you much better in pink... :mrgreen: )

As a conclusion, there cannot be a general agreement with a given interface method (menus, shortcuts, icons) or colour scheme (vibration, people with impaired vision...) but there still are some fundamentals which remain, and any attempt for "innovation" is just confusing:

:idea: Text menus remain the reference, since they explicitely list all the functions
:idea: Menus have to be organised in a logical way, by categories of functions, and with redundency if there is no clear criteria. The IW2 viewer was the best in this regard.
:idea: All the shortcuts are indicated in the corresponding menus. Many people like shortcuts, but they are difficult to retain. So that the quantity of shortcuts a given person uses, versus menus, is different for each person. Hence the interest of telling each shortcut in the corresponding menu, instead of having to know them by telepathy (I am not against telepathy, but I am just not good at that :-D).
:idea: icons are easy too, provided they are explicit. For this they must not be stylized ("cellphone style"), and they must use all the resources of color, while keeping contrasted enough for people with a bad vision.
:idea: color scheme There cannot either be an agreement here. So several different can be used. I remember Emerald as one of the best on this regard, with a choice of neutral greyish skins with shiny coloured buttons.
:idea: Ideally, if we want to allow the user to customise the interface, then he may select which icons he uses. The ideal with this was Paint Shop pro 8, where there was several sets of icons, sorted by functions, that we could drag on a single icons bar, just under the menu bar. (more a sidebar dedicated to selecting tools)
:!: Unobstructed window. When we look at a scene, we look at the scene, not at the interface. Our brain is perfectly able to substract the window frame, and consider only the window content. But if there are chiclets and other appendages dangling in the window, then the brain understands them as a part of the scene, and thus they are disturbing, like a fly or a scratch on the screen is. In more of hiding some content.
:x beware of focus theft. There has been several complains of this one. In the iW2 I noted that incoming objects or textures steal the focus from the chat bar. This is very annoying.

Last edited by Yichard on Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Shedrupling University" science
YichTrains Elven Works Lysaer Gortax Robots

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:59 am 

A comment - more of an fyi than an actual request or complaint - I became aware yesterday that (in Firestorm) accepting a contact request made by another user, even if they have gone off line several hours before you accept it, the sender will show ON-line in your contact list until you relog. If a user does not know about this "hiccup" it could be confusing and would be something to avoid, if possible, when setting it up (or verifying it's functionality) in v3 (and going forward).

The Almighty tells me he can get me out of this mess, but he's pretty sure you're sporked.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:11 pm 

Okay... 3 months to get any sort of progress report. Almost 2 more have passed and still no new version. You would think at least fixing the purchasing of I'z would be a priority. Does InWorldz not want to retain new residents? Does it not want to retain those fresh and new to virtual worlds?

When there is a server side issue you guys are all over it and communicating with us on whats happening, yet in 7 years it seems that the mentality toward an official InWorldz Viewer has not changed. It's still back of the bus, fudge'em let them use a TPV. That certainly does not match with any intentions to get new residents outside of grabbing those from other grids.

Dark Gypsy of InWorldz
Find out more about the Gypsies Of InWorldz @ http://inworldzgypsy.dx.am

Gothic Rock and Metal DJ
DJ Group: DJ Mortus Eclipses Eloquent Souls

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:16 pm 

Mortus wrote:
the mentality toward an official InWorldz Viewer has not changed. It's still back of the bus, fudge'em let them use a TPV.

That may be the exact reason. I am not defending anybody. What I am saying is over all we don't absolutely *need* a special viewer since we do have FS and the others. My own personal feeling is that I will be using Firestorm 95% of the time unless Iwz4 is mind blowingly more powerful. Jim has said right out it's not going to be anywhere near as powerful as Firestorm. What it will be, if I understood correctly, is a small fast viewer with some cool Inworldz features and better export options.

Having said all that I will also say yes, it has been way too long. Just on general principles where is the new viewer?

Last edited by LoganStargazer on Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Page 71 of 73 [ 721 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73  Next