WANDERING WATER TOY INFORMATION - 2M MODEL SAILBOATS
This water toy uses the first generation of the wandering water toy script. The script is written to be as user friendly, efficient and low lag as possible. It does not use any of the physics or dynamic functions as these have not been implemented in InWorldz at this time. Script usage is under 50 instructions/second on average. The toy survives sim restarts and re-rezzing.
The toy will work in InWorldz or pool (prim) water at any altitude. It can cover an area as small as a few meters up to nearly entire sim (250 meters in either direction).*
The toy uses a convenient owner only option menu. Only the owner can access the menu and only the owner can see what the menu says. To access the menu simply touch the toy.
Anyone other than the owner who touches the toy will receive a copy of the first notecard in it’s inventory (if any). By default, that will be a copy of the instructions. If you remove the instructions and put in a notecard of your own (sim information, coming events…) the toy will give a copy of that notecard when touched instead.
The menu choices are:
START/STOP - Starts and stops the toy. If a corner position is missing, it will prompt you to ad one when it tries to start.
CORNER 1 - Stores the first corner position. This can be any corner of the area that you want it to roam around in.
CORNER 2 - Stores the second corner position. This should be the corner diagonally across from the first corner (kitty corner).
HELP - Gives a copy of the first notecard in it’s inventory. By default, this will be the instructions.
SETTING THE CORNER POSITIONS
• Simply place the toy at your desired height and position it in one corner of the area you would like it to roam around in. This can be any corner.
• Click the toy to access the menu and select CORNER 1.
• Move the toy to the corner diagonally across from the first corner (kitty corner) of the area you want it to roam around in. The area does not need to be square, it can be rectangular if you like.
• Click the toy to access the menu and select CORNER 2.
* PLEASE NOTE
• The corner positions should be at least a few meters apart. If they are too close, the toy will not have enough room to turn and could wander away from the intended area.
• Also, please allow a few meters between a sim border to give the toy a chance to turn before it leaves the sim. If it tries to go past a sim border it will stop - sim crossings are not yet possible in InWorldz for scripted devices.
• Depending on the toy, it will usually follow the perimeter of the area you set for it. Some toys will wander randomly within the same area.
• After the corner positions are stored simply click the toy to access the menu and select START/STOP. This will start the toy wandering.
• To stop it, select START/STOP again.
The toy will survive sim restarts and re-rezzing. If a sim is restarted while the toy is wandering, it will go back to wandering in the same area when the sim comes back up.
PERMISSIONS & MODIFICATIONS
The toy is copy/mod, the script is copy only. You can even take the script out of the toy and drop it into something else if you wish. Just be sure the root prim is oriented so that its z-axis (blue) is facing up and it’s x-axis (red) is facing forward.
• The toy’s performance is dependent on how well the sim is running. A poorly running sim will cause the toy‘s movement to be very sporadic. For best results, the sim's FPS should be at or close to 53. Movement becomes noticeably jerky if the sim FPS drops to 40 or less.
• Since the toy is non physical, it is possible for it to roam through solid objects.
• Any script that is running uses script time. Script time is one of the sims recourses that is currently shared by everyone in the sim. How many toys you can have running at one time depends on how much script time is available in addition to several other factors. As a general rule, I would suggest that no more than 10 toys should be roaming in the sim at the same time. This is only a suggestion, your mileage may vary
The custom wandering water toy script is available in a copy/trans version that can be licensed so you can use it in items (sea creatures, animals, vehicles etc.) that you sell. The licensees include:
1) A limited commercial license for use in only one make/model/type of item that you sell.
2) An unlimited license for use in any make/model/type of any items that you sell.
If interested, please contact me for price and availability.
The 2m Model Sailboat was inspired by a full size, full perm boat made by Second Life resident Neal Nomad in the fall of 2003.
If you have any questions about this or any other PD Designs product or service please feel free to contact me at any time.
PD Designs - Custom Scripting Service