InWorldz

Where your Dreams are our Vision!

It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:25 am | All times are UTC - 6 hours
 Page 1 of 4 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Alt detection systems - query on IW privacy policy
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:44 am 

On the Big Grid forums currently there's a heated debate about the use of a product called 'RedZone'.

This product attempts to secretly collect IP addresses and AV names through an exploit on shared media, and records the resulting 'finds' on a cross-referenced off-grid database. A (paid for) HUD is available to inspect this database at will, thereby making public the alleged Alts of any user who has inadvertently come under this system's scrutiny (i.e. any AV who, for whatever reason, has the same IP address as another AV). Products other than RedZone also collect this data but do not, AFAIK, allow the entire database to be examined by anyone who is willing to pay.

What is InWorldz official stance on such systems ? Would such systems be allowed to operate here, or would they be regarded as violations of the InWorldz TOS ?

Post subject: Re: Alt detection systems - query on IW privacy policy
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:42 am 

I believe I speak for all 3 of us as Founders.

If any of these methods are discovered and reported they will be patched.

There is no reason for anyone to know who logs into what accounts in InWorldz other than InWorldz staff, and only when
there are issues.

I personally abhor the methods for tracking and banning avatars by people who use this method to ban others.

My comment when I read about this new 'system' was that I would be lmao when someone who used it, was banned from their own
estate because someone else put them in a ban list. Yes, I know that the system is not set up to do this.. Of course not.. those that created
it would have banned from their own sims by now.

We take privacy very seriously here. We don't want to see people feeling compromised when they come here to enjoy their time.

Hopefully that answers your question in a manner you were looking for Arkady.

Yet some men say in many parts of England that King Arthur is not dead; that he shall come again, there is written this verse upon his tomb which lies at the bottom of the lake. 'Here Lies King Arthur, Once And Future King.'

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:49 am 

i heared about redzone too and not all is bad about
aslong it bansn ppls who use progs to steal creations im fine with but let ppls spy out who is wich alt and so is not ok cause this is privacy and not to be for public
wonder how long it takes that someone judge the creator of this for interrupting their privacy
if it close this option the idea bann ppls and their alts who sued copybot viewers and stuff its fine cause soon you find a copybotter and ban them this alt comes and you cna work endless get ride of their alts usually they have aroudn 100 alts for such things,
generally its sad that ppls need use such an gadget to get ride of such ppls cause it shwos how much crime allready came in to make the life in the world bad

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:51 am 

Legion Hienrichs wrote:
We take privacy very seriously here. We don't want to see people feeling compromised when they come here to enjoy their time.

Thanks Legion, that's exactly what I was hoping you'd say.

My trust in InWorldz increases yet again...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:59 am 

And it didn't even take a year of Jira to get attention. :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:
Yay IW and Suck it, Redzone(and similar products of jackassery)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:17 am 

Thank you, Inworldz is once again proving to be the best VR on the grid!

:goodthing:

Your Parcel, Spirit Wolf (192, 128, 2501) [Teleport]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:05 am 

Tormie wrote:
And it didn't even take a year of Jira to get attention. :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:
Yay IW and Suck it, Redzone(and similar products of jackassery)

Jackassery - my new word for the week, I love it!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:37 am 

Hi All,
Unfortunately Redzone is a well abused product in the other grid so i'm glad the founders have their stance on that. When you can get someones IP address, every account they log into you have to wonder where it stops. It's really no ones concern except the founders. If you have a issue with copy-botting etc go to the founders i'm sure they will take care of it. I believe we are all here because we have faith in the founders of IW. Thank you founders for what you do. Im glad that my privacy is protected and we are part of an awesome vw.

Think about this though before you say this product could be good. If they can read your ip address and check your accounts on a grid makes you wonder what other information they can tap into. CC information stored, age verified, etc etc. Remember in the other grid people lose their accounts due to hacking. You dont want so Joe Smoe tapping into your info. NOT EVERYONE IS HONEST!

:gmorning: :gmorning: :gmorning: :gmorning: :gmorning: :gmorning: :gmorning: :gmorning: :gmorning: :gmorning:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:00 am 

Legion Hienrichs wrote:

There is no reason for anyone to know who logs into what accounts in InWorldz other than InWorldz staff, and only when
there are issues.

I personally abhor the methods for tracking and banning avatars by people who use this method to ban others.

My comment when I read about this new 'system' was that I would be lmao when someone who used it, was banned from their own
estate because someone else put them in a ban list. Yes, I know that the system is not set up to do this.. Of course not.. those that created
it would have banned from their own sims by now.

IW just got a third thumbs up from me. :tup: :tup: :tup:
(Anyone know of a good plastic surgeon, I'm needing an extra digit) :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:45 am 

thank god .. thank you Legion for stating this loud and clear and thank youArk for brinning it up. I meant to do it some time ago but it got lost somewhere in the haze of my fussy mind ;)

I have to say this. Im dead against the Redzone and other similar products. As stated it violates the privacy. Ive had numerous argumenets with ppl in the beyound and yes those debates gets pretty heated. Im all for protection of your / our creations but it can go to far as it has in the cases of these products.

Case fact; I went to visit the BF in canada this summer. I dont really go online when over there cos its my vacation time. I did have to go online at one point (emergency) and I had to use his comp to do so. Now days after I had been loged in on his comp a "friend" of his that owns a "club" IMed him asking if he had an ALT called "Lady Sakai". He told me this and I vent livid. Clear cut breach of privacy!!

Now interesting point in fact; I actually brought this up on Jack Linden`s OH ( some year back I belive) so its not that LL isnt aware of these products but apparently (since these products havent been taken off the grid) the choose to close their eyes (again!) to a blatant abuse of their own TOS .. ok ok vent over ;)

I will say that yes I have alts in SL (and a few in IW as well although those in IW is business alts to manage payments etc) and due to the fact of these products I long time ago stopped going out onto the grid cus I didnt know what or where these productrs were used. *sighs*

Conclusion; Im so gratefull that IW takes a hard stance on these products. Thank you soooo much :hug: :bravo:

Nutcase Duranie comming at ya -DUCK!

Page 1 of 4 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next