InWorldz

Where your Dreams are our Vision!

It is currently Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:50 am | All times are UTC - 6 hours
 Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Less help and more ridicule inworld
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:17 am 

Lately I have notice that when people ask for help, there is less helping happening and a whole lot more laughing and making fun of the person. What may seem to be a silly question or need to you, is something important to the person asking.

The help groups are there to help people, not make fun of them or their question. That is the attitude we really are trying to keep away from this grid. I look at that attitude and behavior as very immature, not adult mature behavior.

Time to think folks, do you like to be laughed at or made fun of because you have a need for help to solve a problem your having in world or looking for something that you may find necessary for you to better your experience in world?

Just saying....

Post subject: Re: Less help and more ridicule inworld
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:42 am 

Heavenly, that is a sad thing indeed and something I am glad I have not run into. Please be assured that at least in Builder's we do have in place folks with the power to handle any abuse. I am sure most of the other gorups do as well. If anyone experiences a problem on Builders' Support, please let me know personally- notecard things folks.

A note though, sometimes folks are just "having fun" and it is really up to those directly involved to determine if they consider it "fun" or griefing.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:54 am 

It is sad, I have witnessed such behavior many times over in the last few weeks. Some people do get their questions answered than later you see that question/person being the butt end of a joke. Some know it is silliness and don't mind it, yet there are some who will and do take it more serious and never again ask for help in groups or in the forum.

We all need to remember to think first.

Just saying...

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:32 am 

Sad is totally an understatement. Our help is what keeps us not like the other guy. I for 1 love and need the help and give back all I can. I pray I am never 1 mistaken for making anyone question a joke because any question asked deserves a proper answer. Even my silly questions. Be it in group, at IDI or out in the world we all are known for being nice and helpful so lets not blow this good rep.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:20 pm 

It would be helpful to contact the owner of said group so they can take care of the problem. If it is my group it will be squashed immediately as it totally goes against the charter for Where Can I Find It? Sometimes though people know each other and are ribbing each other so it has to be looked into. But again, without knowledge it cannot be fixed.

WCIFI? has moderators in a variety of time zones that hopefully keep it covered while some sleep. And there are long time members who are not afraid to step up and remind people of the purpose and charter for the group. It is first and foremost a social group to provide friendship and assistance to all.

My pet peeve lately are business associates who slip in derogatory remarks about competitors into group chat. If your business cannot stand on its own without mudslinging then find another group to be part of.
:nono:

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:36 pm 

There are many things we don't know and thus ask, it is how we learn.

Heavenly, keep on asking those questions, here, there and everywhere!

Anyways Heavenly, you're a star! :tup:

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 1:26 pm 

It did not happen to me, I have seen it happening lately in different groups at different times. I know people are not meaning to hurt feelings or make someone feel stupid, for asking a simple question.

I have seen people shy away from the groups and forums, because they asked a question. The next thing they know, they are the butt of a joke, some do find them entertaining and don't get hurt or feel kinda belittled, they even join in. However there are some out there, frustrated, not understanding how to make something, or find something, or just plain don't understand why some things tic that way when it should toc this way. They don't get their answers or it gets lost in the silliness of people. then that person is left feeling like mud and not even knowing why.

I am not talking anyone or anything specific, this has just been an observation over the last few weeks in the groups. Sadly I have to admit, I was part of that a few weeks ago, since then I did talk to the person and apologize and explained to them that no one meaning to hurt them or make them feel inferior to any of us. If one felt that way, you know there are others.

I just don't want to see people leaving and thinking we are all jerks and not wanting to help others.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 1:33 pm 
Admin

This makes me sad to hear as well. Please always do your best to maintain InWorldz as a friendly, fun, and forgiving atmosphere.

To all those that show patience to others when they need help. Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:39 pm 

Just to add my 2 cents. I can say that the biggest selling point of InWorldz when I decided to put my roots down here was the community and the Founders' ethos. I may not be the virtual worlds' best at anything, but I have been in VWs since 2006 and am pretty competent and knowledgeable on the other grid.

It may seem to some that IW is much like the other place and in most respects it is, but there are some fundamental differences that only reveal themselves as you go about what you think are routine tasks. For three days I was puzzling why I could walk up the stairs I built in a house in one place, but not when it was rezzed by somebody else elsewhere. After asking some pretty dumb questions in groups chats I found out about what an abomination the ODE engine is and all the little adjustments you have to do to accommodate it in your builds. I had to ask dumb questions to find out what scripts/items were available here that I would take for granted over the road and the list goes on; what TPVs work here, how do I turn off group chat, why aren't my objects turning up in search etc etc etc?

There is no such thing as a dumb question, but there can be a lot dumb answers/replies. I'm glad to say though that every time I have ever asked a question, however newbish I felt, whether it was in group or here on the forum I got speedy and informative answers. On top of that if I was enquiring about an item or script then while the chat was progressing most times somebody would silently drop it on you and want nothing in return for it. It's at times like those I feel so glad that I moved here So if this is happening I hope somebody calls it out in group or it gets slammed down because the mentors, helpers and generous residents are what make IW special and welcoming and pleasure to stay in. To be fair I haven't seen it any of the groups I'm member of or inworld so I hope this is an isolated incident. As the grid grows these kind of people will grow in proportion so it's incumbent upon all of us to moderate it, let it be known it's not tolerated and most of all not to silently sigh to ourselves whilst doing nothing.

/2cents

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:33 pm 

I've never experienced that, even busy people have tried to take the time within reason to answer my questions...I HAVE learned to do my research first, but no one has ever to my knowledge made fun of a question I had.

I also believe that friendliness and helpfulness is what sets us apart as a grid and would be very sad to see that degenerate.

Let's hope it was just a cluster Heavenly, and not a pattern developing. :)

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next