InWorldz

Where your Dreams are our Vision!

It is currently Mon May 28, 2018 1:55 am | All times are UTC - 6 hours
 Page 6 of 7 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: My Sims FPS has come to a crawl
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:17 am 

"Oh freddled gruntbuggly,Thy micturations are to meAs plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee.Groop, I implore thee, my foonting turlingdromes,And hooptiously drangle me with crinkly bindlewurdles,Or I will rend thee in the gobberwartsWith my blurglecruncheon, see if I don't!"

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:49 am 

drakeo wrote:
I do hardware.
I do software. Since we all seem to agree there is a software issue here, most likely with the ATI configuration tools, you're done?
drakeo wrote:
and I am just going to break it down step by step
We've already been through the step-by-step process. I spent 2 hours in the region with David the other night. We've been working through it.

This isn't a problem with rez times, or HTTP transfers, or PhysX. You're just confusing the thread by posting off-topic comments that are complete unrelated to the issue he's having. I've asked you to stop. If you do it again, I'm going to start reporting the posts.

Last edited by Jim Tarber on Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:21 am 

David Bilavio wrote:
I'm about ready to drop this damn computer and go buy one that has Nvdia as the graphics card versus ATI. I jsut don't' want to spend another $1,200 right now

Any other ideas?
David

David,

Unless your PC is a laptop (may have missed this is tons of posts) why don't you simply take the ATI vid card out and replace it with a NVidia?

Will surely cost you way less than replacing the whole unit.
And is easy to do. Why slots on mother boards were invented as far back as Apple II.

Just my two Eurocents.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:32 am 

Judy Dressler wrote:
Unless your PC is a laptop (may have missed this is tons of posts) why don't you simply take the ATI vid card out and replace it with a NVidia?
It is a laptop. I don't think there's any need to replace the card, it's just a matter of trying to find a version of the Catalyst software that restores the former performance. (That's still a bit of an assumption, but it is what the evidence seems to suggest, and a good working theory at this point.) David does have an older version but is having trouble getting a fresh install done.

I just remembered, I think ATI (AMD now) has some kind of "clear/cleanup installation/configuration" utility, or did last time I used an ATI card. If they do have something like that, it may be cleaner than trying to go back.

If not, I think Sara's suggestion to check for any existing earlier system restore points is a great one as well.

I think it's just that after more than an hour of this, it starts to get pretty frustrating and I believe David has been fighting with this for several weeks. We've narrowed down the problem though, so with more trial and error and after a few choice words in the air, hopefully it'll be back in action with full performance soon.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:44 am 

I updated one of my systems yesterday to the 14.9 Catalyst and there's something very strange about the drivers. Running just the one viewer seem to make no real difference, but if I have two viewers running I'll get about 1 frame per fortnight, whereas previously I could handle two with just a bit of a slowdown in performance.

So I'm rolling back to the previous version.

:tdown:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:30 am 

I know a relatively quick way to check/potentially repair things if no usable restore points exist. Download LXLE Linux and do a side by side install, the whole process takes about 30 minutes including the download on my connection.
Download and install the catalyst for linux driver version you like to the new LXLE install.
Install the viewer of your choice and I'm guessing joy will ensue.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:23 am 

Sara wrote:
I know a relatively quick way to check/potentially repair things if no usable restore points exist. Download LXLE Linux and do a side by side install, the whole process takes about 30 minutes including the download on my connection.
Download and install the catalyst for linux driver version you like to the new LXLE install.
The problem with that, more than being a different driver, is that I don't think the trouble is in the driver itself, but rather the configuration software that comes on Windows. So I would expect that to work a lot better as well, but it won't really advance towards the goal of getting a good set of Windows software installed at all. Although that brings up another idea, which is to try simply not installing the Catalyst software at all, just the raw driver for Windows, to see it that's any better.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:47 am 

Jim Tarber wrote:
Sara wrote:
The problem with that, more than being a different driver, is that I don't think the trouble is in the driver itself, but rather the configuration software that comes on Windows. So I would expect that to work a lot better as well, but it won't really advance towards the goal of getting a good set of Windows software installed at all. Although that brings up another idea, which is to try simply not installing the Catalyst software at all, just the raw driver for Windows, to see it that's any better.

That's a damned good idea Jim, there are any number of sites where you can even get tweaked ati drivers.
I suspect uninstalling catalyst completely is the best and quickest solution to this issue I've seen proposed.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:33 am 

David,
I just had an idea- ouch lol

Can you try using inworldz and going to your sim with a friends computer
just to see if there is a difference.

http://places.inworldz.com/Ionia/125/193/22

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:38 pm 

The new frustration is AMD gave me these instructions. lol. I followed them to a the letter and still the previous older drivers will not load. Like something is keeping the video drivers from loading. And also my bad big time. I turned off restore points. Didn't realize I did it but it's deactivated. shakes head.

For software troubleshooting, please clean reinstall the driver.
1. Please uninstall the current driver via Catalyst Installation Manager.
2. (Recommended) Clean the remaining files manually by using the third-party clean like DriverSweeper or DriverFusion
3. (Optional) Install the Visual C++ 2010, 2012 (Note: install the 64bit edition) and .NET Framework 4.5 manually.
4. At last install the CCC as usual.
For detailed instructions on how to correctly uninstall or install the AMD Catalyst Software Suite, please refer to the following support resources:
GPU-57: How-To Uninstall AMD Catalyst™ Drivers From A Windows® Based System
GPU-507: How-To Install AMD Catalyst™ Drivers For A Windows® Based System

ready to throw this laptop at AMD's windows for messing me up. lol

David

Page 6 of 7 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next