InWorldz

Where your Dreams are our Vision!

It is currently Mon May 28, 2018 1:58 am | All times are UTC - 6 hours
 Page 5 of 7 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: My Sims FPS has come to a crawl
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:27 am 

And the base physx platform used by IW here http://www.linkedin.com/pub/david-daeschler/8/56a/aa9

why the ATI is under clocked a tad but is a work horse http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Mobili ... 069.0.html

note from the manufacture no physx . physx is a compiler written for the cuda core.

learn why IW went with the best developers project and the most used.
http://docs.nvidia.com/gameworks/conten ... ation.html

Ed note: AMD has put its money where Neal Robison’s mouth is. The company announced today that it was moving ahead with the development of an open source physics engine called Bullet Physics. Based on the vendor-neutral OpenCL and DirectCompute languages, it can run on any recent Radeon or GeForce product. We have requested commentary from NVIDIA on this initiative as well. Oh how the plot thickens!
Any one has compiled an Opensimulator understands what bullet physx is.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:19 am 

drakeo wrote:
And the base physx platform used by IW here http://www.linkedin.com/pub/david-daeschler/8/56a/aa9

If you actually took time to read Tranq's posts about Physx on InWorldz, you'd see it is running on the server, not the viewer. I'm the third person to explain this to you.

Quote:
why the ATI is under clocked a tad but is a work horse http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Mobili ... 069.0.html

note from the manufacture no physx . physx is a compiler written for the cuda core.

Why would physx support be needed on someone's graphics rig for code running on the server?

Quote:
learn why IW went with the best developers project and the most used.
http://docs.nvidia.com/gameworks/conten ... ation.html

Ed note: AMD has put its money where Neal Robison’s mouth is. The company announced today that it was moving ahead with the development of an open source physics engine called Bullet Physics. Based on the vendor-neutral OpenCL and DirectCompute languages, it can run on any recent Radeon or GeForce product. We have requested commentary from NVIDIA on this initiative as well. Oh how the plot thickens!
Any one has compiled an Opensimulator understands what bullet physx is.

No-one involved in Opensimulator development will understand what bullet physx is - because there is no such thing. Bullet and Physx are two different physics engines.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:36 pm 

mistyharley wrote:
Jim, one of the links you gave for ATI problems was from 2010, I'm not sure if that is still an issue or not but before I start to play around with my system (and goodness knows, screw it up) is there anyway to verify? I'm asking because I don't even know what to google in this case.
The ATI release notes links were the latest, but the WoW problem was posted because it was the same hardware that David was having trouble with, and I wanted to highlight the dramatic differences different ATI settings and software could have on FPS. I really was not suggesting anyone else make any changes, unless you too are seeing single-digit FPS in a location where nVidia users are not. There is some ATI software other than the actual driver itself that tells the graphics hardware when it needs to run in performance mode (games) and when it's just normal desktop operation. On laptops such as David's, this also includes power-saving modes to prolong the battery. I don't specifically think the WoW problem is the same one here; just that it is an example of a class of problem that can occur when the control software doesn't realize it should be running in high performance mode. And in the latest driver software, there were two known problems that sounded like they might absolutely kill the FPS rate.

So absolutely, do not make any changes based on those articles and postings, that was just examples of the types of problems you might see if the Catalyst Control Center code didn't recognize the viewer as gaming software. There may be a way of specifically adding it and telling the software to run it in a performance mode.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:59 am 

Jim Tarber wrote:

So absolutely, do not make any changes based on those articles and postings, that was just examples of the types of problems you might see if the Catalyst Control Center code didn't recognize the viewer as gaming software. There may be a way of specifically adding it and telling the software to run it in a performance mode.

yeah, I have the same 'problem' in the sense that if I turn on certain things (listed in previous post) for atmosphere to take pictures, I go from great FPS to 4.

So now I'm wondering if it's the Catalyst Control center and recognizing the viewer as gaming software?

I won't change anything since I'm prone to blow things up when I start messing about so hopefully you will get a chance between now and Monday to offer some assist with checking the Catalyst. I'm not around until Monday afternoon or Tuesday morning, the latest due to RL so no hurry and if you can assist, I would greatly appreciate it. Would love to get back to taking captures.

thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:23 pm 

So first of all I want to truly thank Jim and Balpien for coming to my rescue the other night and especially Jim. With his great patience with me, we both got to work to try and figure out what's going on. Apparently I got an update through the Catalyst driver I was not aware of and updated my drivers. Usually I'm OK with that except for the fact that the latest version has some memory leaks and other issues that is bringing my video card Frame Rates to a crawl. Over the last few days after Jim was helping me, I went to work to investigate further and believe its' the root of my issues. So Jim Thanks a million for taking the time out of your busy night to come see me and in my rant. It really helped. Now I was able to roll back to 14.4 versus 14.9 and my Frame rates have improved some. But I'm trying to get back to version 13.1 where i was getting great frame rates. The new problem I'm having is for some reason even though I uninstalled the drivers, the latest drivers are leaving some files still on my computer and preventing me from going back to that old driver that I was getting great frame rates from. I even used the program Driveruninstaller from GURU3D to help me get rid of the left over files and in my registry and inventory. But for some reason I can't install the older drivers. I got an email to AMD that bought out ATI to see if there is anything else I can do to go back to the older drivers successfully. If not, I'm going to re-install windows and the drivers from scratch. That will just be frustrating in itself. If anyone has any other ideas that would be great. I'm about ready to drop this damn computer and go buy one that has Nvdia as the graphics card versus ATI. I jsut don't' want to spend another $1,200 right now

Any other ideas?
David

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:59 pm 

You are most welcome, David. My suspicion was that a sneak update happened. BTW, this is not unique to ATI. NVidia did a sneak update on me many months ago, which messed things up for me. I ended up ripping out all their updater core.

As for driver issues, you can do rollbacks using the Win7 system and driver rollback means. That is usually quite thorough at cleaning up.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:23 pm 

I think I'm saying the same thing as Balpien, albeit in a different manner......whenever an ATI Catalyst update happens....a restore point "should be" set......so if you can determine the date your 13.1 drivers were updated you can use the restore point to roll back to just before that date.......

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:38 pm 

Oh well you all did your home work now and you understand why the nvidia GPU works better than the ATI in the IW environment.
Thank you all for your kind replies.
Now that you understand that only Nvidia physx runs on cuda cores and that the brilliant Nvidia lab 2 blocks from me has spent many hours bringing fine project to the folks. That said Nvidia support is a pain in the back side at times.

Now lets get to the OP problem first was "IS" the sim miss configured after an Update. so as the people that be may check that. Is there a run away script on the sim. after rezzing .
press Ctrl -Alt-Shit-U and look for the fast blue or red. red are a complete update. blues show locations update.
then if running windows did it do a fine upgrade of your video driver and fail when you did a shut down.
! first lets make sure it is not a hardware problem like we did in the beginning.
Thank you baldpein hamzer for your kind support. and your gamer using a nvidia card.
so now that it is not the hardware issue and it is not a sim problem. this only leaves the thing that causes 85 percent of all failures and that is a software problem.

ok so now we look and see if the latest viewer has a GPU preset that is causing an issue. if so you may want to turn it all off and bring your draw down to 96m and from there work your way up stay away from shaders till you have it like you want.
I am sure that little AMD ATI with that i7 can handle the work needed.
here is a clue that is well known land patch is a serious drain on any rendering.
and can be very complicated. that is why when you fly up past the draw of the land your FPS go up. This points to a hardware issue with your OS.
That is where we look first.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:55 pm 

drakeo wrote:
Now that you understand that only Nvidia physx runs on ...
You really shouldn't be talking about what InWorldz runs on the server machines. The issue here has nothing to do with PhysX. It has nothing to do with the server end, at all.

Do you not understand that we're talking about a viewer machine in this thread? And that viewer machines don't need to run PhysX at all for InWorldz, or for any viewer, or to connect to any grid?

Please stop bringing up PhysX in this thread. It has nothing to do with PhysX, or nVidia software.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:04 am 

Jim I had you on ignore and will stay there. Your a nice guy stay that way. I do hardware. and I am just going to break it down step by step we will get the the other forms of textures rezing and the effect of RGB and HTML HTTP problems that come with the viewer. This could be handled one step at a time. be kind.
Has any one looked at the enabled HTML for inventory stuff turn it off. if you have rezzing issues.
Ask MC Cabe about it and see if you can speed up your rezz time.
I will not post the links MR T on why we have slow rezz and problems with textures and the inventory with HTML. I am sure you may enlighten the folks on this issue.
step 2 done.

Last edited by drakeo on Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:52 am, edited 3 times in total.

Page 5 of 7 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next