InWorldz

Where your Dreams are our Vision!

It is currently Mon May 28, 2018 1:56 am | All times are UTC - 6 hours
 Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Everything gray
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:06 pm 

I know, I know...there were two threads about everything being gray and or taking forever to rez.

Has this been addressed and fixed?

I am not the only one still wondering.

If it has been fixed, PLEASE do not just slap in the thread addy. Having to fight our way through 9 pages of a thread for that ONE post that has the answer is maddening.

I am a grown up and yes, you CAN blame it on my inadequate computer. [It isn't, in fact it is a decent gaming rig]

Is there a solution? I have heard from some there is, but that is hearsay. However it is people that had pretty much cut their time in IW to zero, but have come back, so to say.

Put answer here:

Post subject: Re: Everything gray
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:58 pm 

I think generally this indicates either:
1. a problem with the texture cache at the viewer end, or
2. a problem fetching missing textures at the server end.

In the first case, you can eliminate this by setting your cache size small, e.g. 512 (that's just a performance optimization while you're there) in Preferences->Network and then pressing the Clear Cache button and restart the viewer. You'll have to reload everything from the server, so it will be slower for the first couple of minutes, but If that doesn't resolve it, then we move on to the second alternative.

For the second case, we have replaced much of the storage of new textures with cloud-based storage for improved redundancy and lower costs (read: safer assets and free uploads), and we have replaced much of the texture serving code at the server end with our Aperture texture server. We've seen a couple of cases where the configuration of that did not get automatically updated, and this can result in missing mesh objects and missing (grey) textures. So... in case this is the issue, if you see this on a region and a viewer cache clear / restart does not fix it, please report the name of the region and we can check whether it's missing the configuration update.

Edit to add: A third possibility is just that it's grey while loading, i.e. slow due to many textures in the region, high bandwidth generation due to objects cycling textures, etc, or network reliability resulting in retries. In that case, the textures would eventually appear, but might be grey at first. You can probably increase your bandwidth setting on Preferences -> Network to something larger, like 1500, if it's lower, just to see if that helps them appear faster.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:16 pm 

Thank you very much Jim :)

Someone else mentioned the bandwidth. I checked and it was 750. I ran it up to 1500 [max recommended for Firestorm] and THAT helped a LOT.

Cache size eh? Ok, I can try differing settings for that alos and see what I get.

Great info Jim, thank you very much :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:31 pm 

Ferrator wrote:
Someone else mentioned the bandwidth. I checked and it was 750. I ran it up to 1500 [max recommended for Firestorm] and THAT helped a LOT.
It really depends on your Internet connection to the server, rather than the viewer. In this case, if you have a "fat pipe" to the Internet, you can turn it up to 2000 (which is the highest value that makes a difference, beyond that is all the same).

Ferrator wrote:
Cache size eh? Ok, I can try differing settings for that alos and see what I get.
For the folks with half-decent Internet connections, the viewer seems to be able to fetch it from the server faster than the cache, especially if the cache is large. So I think 512 or less improves the performance for those folks. A larger cache size for others may be appropriate, so it's important try a couple of settings, but as a start, I'd go with 512 and maybe even smaller. Larger values will probably hurt you viewer frame rate (FPS) and not help much with rezzing (or even make it worse).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:58 pm 

Ferr, there was a change made recently that messed* up how the viewer's bandwidth setting was interpreted. The net result was much slower than expected texture downloading speed. Good intentions but not quite the right implementation.

That has been fixed for a forthcoming release.

* I could have gone all techy/geeky here explaining exactly what was wrong, but suffice it to say that 'messed up' is reasonably accurate.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:02 pm 

Balpien, would you summarize what the error is that's being fixed... and what we can do to sidestep it in the meantime? (Or can it be sidestepped?)

I learned a neat trick a few weeks ago:

CTRL SHIFT R (wireframe) twice... can be used to make invisible prims appear. Along with that comes the textures as well. It's a quick-and-dirty "kick-it" type fix Ferrator, but it's often worked for me.

Check out the DragonForge Emporium at http://places.inworldz.com/ElvenSong/237/37/43. Avatars, building tools, sailing ships, Doctor Who and Stargate items, lots of unique merchandise, and of course Dwagons!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:16 pm 
Admin

Balpien Hammerer wrote:
Ferr, there was a change made recently that messed* up how the viewer's bandwidth setting was interpreted.

All the bandwidth fixes are in at this point as of the last release. If people are still seeing grey after setting bandwidth to something reasonable, I have no further insights. The only remaining issue I've found is viewer related and has to do with the design of the texture cache. This may or may not be fixed upstream.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:52 am 

TranquillityDexler wrote:
All the bandwidth fixes are in at this point as of the last release. If people are still seeing grey after setting bandwidth to something reasonable, I have no further insights. The only remaining issue I've found is viewer related and has to do with the design of the texture cache. This may or may not be fixed upstream.

The changes were to not have to double the bandwidth setting in the viewer, and yes, I misspoke about the next release. Those fixes are here now.

What I see is no problems on texture downloads until I cross into another region. Sometimes, after a crossing, texture downloads get weird. Textures download partly (only the first few resolution updates occurs) with no download of the final highest resolution phase. Some textures never download, all grey.

This does not appear to me to be a network problem. Something happens then textures stop downloading or partially download. A relog fixes the problem immediately.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:32 am 

Does this effect mesh too?

I been seeing mesh very oddly lately, yellow arrows things one time when i opened an invite, and some things have sharp spikes on them. Also black parts surrounding the actual mesh item.

Is this a server thing then? It is important to sort this.. people will soon get very fed up.
:compwindow:

oh and yes the grey .. so much grey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:46 am 

Kasha Selona wrote:
Does this effect mesh too?
Please see my answers above to Ferrator. There are a couple of possible reasons and you can help identify which category of problem it is by clearing cache and relogging. The yellow pyramids are a symptom of this configuration problem I mentioned above and affects specific regions. If the problem persists after a cache clear/relog in the same region with that mesh, please report the region name so that can check the Aperture configuration there.

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next