InWorldz

Where your Dreams are our Vision!

It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 7:38 pm | All times are UTC - 6 hours
 Page 7 of 7 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Parcel Privacy Issue
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:00 pm 

... as for turning off ban lines at the viewer level ... well ... my humble opinion is "if you're going to play with a vehicle (especially at high speeds) and you choose to turn off the ability to see the warnings, you do so at your own risk -- the consequences are what they are".

The Almighty tells me he can get me out of this mess, but he's pretty sure you're sporked.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:58 pm 

LaryaBlackheart wrote:
* * *I was merely addressing the various comments I have heard over the years about how ugly and unsightly (and unwanted) the ban lines "image" of private spaces are; and suggesting a way of giving them a more acceptable appearance when they are appropriate and are used. ** * (or whatever it says) written all over one's screen. Considering how high most drivers/flyers/sailors keep their draw distance, any image should be noticeable far enough in advance to steer around the "offending" space, avoiding angst on the sides of both parties. ***.

Yes, aesthetics is important. Bans lines used to be these ugly red bands, and now they look more like police do-not-cross tape, slightly less ugly. The problem with bans lines for vehicles is that they do not appear until you are very close to the parcel border (within 1 meter), so when you do finally see them it is far too late to react.

And yes, as always private region owner get to do whatever they want.

I do like your idea of making the private areas obviously private. That can be done tastefully or interestingly.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:30 pm 

Quote:
The problem with bans lines for vehicles is that they do not appear until you are very close to the parcel border (within 1 meter), so when you do finally see them it is far too late to react.

o.o - thanks for that, Bal ... 1 meter... really? ONE meter...

*parks my tryke*
*Tony Stewart Helmet Throw at the original inventor of ban-line markers*

.. of all the VERY BADLY implemented....

*FINGER BOMB*

... but seriously ...

I used to ride a motorcycle and a tryke on the other grid (never flew or sailed .. left that one to a couple of dates); mainland road rides only, mind you (the road project sadly went the way of the dodo some time ago.. it was one of the better "voluntary resident group projects" when it was in it's hey-day).

We used to ride 40 to 50 sims on one of the mainland circuit roads once a month or so. Then crossings went to **** and we just gave up.

It was 16 sims (8+ crossings) from my "job" to my "home" (that was very much a daily to and from commute and a great lot of fun for a couple months). But I have to admit areas in which I rode had no ban lines anywhere so I never had the occasion to experience the behavior of running up on one.

I have always just assumed that a ban-lined sim crossing would be visible to the rider/flyer/boater depending on the normal parameters of approaching any sim crossing (draw distance, speed, etc) ... but if these react more like panning in on hover-text scripted objects (where one must be very close - 10 meters or less - to see them at all, much less read the text) that's really unacceptable. If I had known or had the occasion to encounter one at any time, using a vehicle, I'd have spoken up MUCH sooner - about making ban-bordered regions far more visible to approaching traffic in addition to being less an eye-sore.

The Almighty tells me he can get me out of this mess, but he's pretty sure you're sporked.

Page 7 of 7 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7