InWorldz

Where your Dreams are our Vision!

It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:25 am | All times are UTC - 6 hours
 Page 4 of 4 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: InWorldz Halcyon Server 0.9.23
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:01 pm 

I'll send you a link to the HUD and post it into the Script Library if I get a chance. I think it's just a prim with a hollow and path cut to make it three prims for coloring segments to indicate status (green, yellow, red) and one script. Not very fancy at all.

In terms of planning restarts, if you have events with a lot of people, I think the better strategy, especially for the long term, would be to restart the region after an event (or don't bother to restart at all). That way you're using the maximizing any caching we do (which is likely to increase in the future as we do more and more asset caching of the cloud storage). With this 0.9.23 release, I'm not aware of any reason why a region would need a restart, other than as Taika mentioned to resolve a specific technical issue seen, like some kind of rare issue that requires a restart, like some kind of ghost prim or specific error like a script engine error, where the normal resolution is to do a restart. Without something like that, regions should be able to run for months and we'll get to them with upgrades every 3-4 weeks (currently) anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:19 am 

I think the script (with instructions on the prim's creation) were posted here on the forums some time ago. ... I have one on my region. If it's the same tool (the description sounds like it is) I would be happy to check the permissions (of both the prim and the script) and pass a copy to Trouble and/or Christine Nyn if it would save some side-work.

The Almighty tells me he can get me out of this mess, but he's pretty sure you're sporked.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:54 am 

LaryaBlackheart wrote:
I think the script (with instructions on the prim's creation) were posted here on the forums some time ago. ... I have one on my region. If it's the same tool (the description sounds like it is) I would be happy to check the permissions (of both the prim and the script) and pass a copy to Trouble and/or Christine Nyn if it would save some side-work.

Thank you Claret - I just picked that up inworld - I'll put it in the Library when I next log in.

~ Christine ~

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:58 am 

you're very welcome!

for those that would like to know: both the prim and script are full permissions (Jim's "commented" the script as "cc0").

The example prim (already cut to allow the monitor to display the necessary information and still have a land impact of 1) contains the script and I also included the script separately for more "hands on" users.

The texture of the face is automatic but the back and edges can be freely textured/colored to suit the owner's whim or needs and the prim was enlarged to get at the edges in edit (simple resizing the prim will also not have any effect on the face).

Cheers!

The Almighty tells me he can get me out of this mess, but he's pretty sure you're sporked.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:05 pm 

I thought it was posted here too, but didn't find it in the Scripting Library or my bookmarks so I posted it there.

It's slightly updated from whatever you probably have had in the past. Also includes in the comments the instructions on how to make the 3-segment single-prim for the HUD.

I've also sent copies to Christine for her Library.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:52 pm 

Another time when a sim restart may be required is when a raw is loaded to a sim. Occasionally, but not always, loading a raw causes avatars to bounce on the land or water of the sim. This has happened within the last few days.

Shop the Stores at Equinox
http://slurl.com/secondlife/Equinox/199/245/23

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:30 pm 

Allod Tolwen wrote:
Another time when a sim restart may be required is when a raw is loaded to a sim. Occasionally, but not always, loading a raw causes avatars to bounce on the land or water of the sim. This has happened within the last few days.
Yes, that's a good example. I think the raw file itself doesn't do it but the combination of raw load and terraform may require a restart in order for everything to be working as expected.

There are a few reasons to have a need to restart a region, and it's always worth trying it if you have some particular problem. I think the main point here though is that there's no general need to restart a region for performance reasons, and in fact that might have a negative effect at first due to the loss of cached data on a region restart.

Page 4 of 4 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4