InWorldz

Where your Dreams are our Vision!

It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:19 am | All times are UTC - 6 hours
 Page 28 of 29 [ 283 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: Region Crossing Failures
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:32 pm 

Arkady Arkright wrote:
OK. I take it that the IP addresses of the servers containing the destination regions are passed direct from server to viewer in dotted-quad form, and not acquired via a DNS lookup ?
Actually my point was that I don't think it would matter, because if the troubled DNS server is used to look up one region, it will be used to look up them all. You probably wouldn't be able to log in or ever see inworldz.com with a browser (much the way the Twitter client API was down for me, as well as the main twitter.com website).

So no, I think the problems are just that there were problems with crossing reliability, and that it also depended on viewer responses (via the Internet), and all the problems and error conditions that brings with it. In the update, most if not all of the crossing failures should be resolved, and the viewer has mostly been eliminated from a crossing success. (The viewer still needs to check in on the other side, to send controls etc, but if the two regions can communicate the hand-off, it should succeed regardless of the viewer now.)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:16 pm 

Dear friends..

We had a battle tonight and sim crossings at the Skye Islands had a delay in working huds from 5 to 10 seconds. ( done restarts yesterday ) .. and yes i know the sims are still running on the old version. Just reporting.

Also , we ( the port Celyddon community and me ) talked about the sim issues and we sense people get frustrated very much: we depend in our play on good crossings for our sailing battles and we have been waiting for a long long long time ....

Therefore we decided , if in januari we wont have the conditions we need for our play, we will give up the Skye Islands quat , the Balvenie bay scenic , and this might be the end of the Black Powder RP group ( which is growing in population now )

We are aware the IW founders are working hard on the problem, we really appreciate this!! Having a couple of months to fix this, is a fair chance . But i think too , its important you know the consequenses if its not possible to fix the issues. U will lose paying clients ... im very very sorry i have to say this. For now , lets hope it wont be needed do give up the sims, it would be very painful for us to give it all up. But we wont be paying 85 dollars for sims not capable to offer us what we need.

I also have my thoughts about all the new roll outs , and all the new problems coming with new roll outs, thats not a good sign at all. Im a bit worried about that too. I know its all a learning process .. but still its not good when people " make a cross " at every new roll out and fear for bad things to happen. But let us stay positive and wait for better times.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:48 pm 

I also agree with Trouble.. if its not fixed by Janruary I also will give up my 2x2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:54 pm 

Trouble, did you try it on the updated regions? I don't know anything about Skye Islands or the Port Celyddon community except that it's still running the older code; all I can say is I thought it was very clear the release coming Thursday was the one with several fixes for long-standing crossing failures, and we'll see where we are then and after that we can focus on any performance issues expect to remain.

It's a very small team -- we have 2 technical staff (which is 2 more technical staff than most grids) and one is very very busy and unable to contribute much to this other than developer discussions, I'm the other -- and it takes a single developer to pick up the ball and champion it as the priority, which is exactly what I did at the end of the summer. We have a 3-week release cycle that has been ambitious and has often taken 4 weeks to produce, but this release being readied for delivery Thursday is the first one since then to really include most of the work done since the summer. Could you not have waited at least this week just to see, before posting an ultimatum about something we've already made the top development priority? I know you're just trying to state the facts from your perspective about what will happen, but as the focus is now on crossings, and we're on the verge of major updates to crossings, it seems a particularly poorly-timed warning to me. There's a lot of work still to be done, but you should start noticing improvements as soon as you start hitting updated regions (and that currently includes all of the I'z Straits and Ocean regions). You won't have to wait for January.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:53 pm 

Jim, dont take it personal , it was not ment to be. We know about the hard work and that all work needs to be done by only few people. I think its never a wrong moment to write u about the things i experience and frustrations of players. it informs you about whats going on in the grid and gives u the chance to turn things into the positive, and that will happen on thursday , hopefully.

I have been informing all the players about the thursday roll out last week, and today i heard people saying january is their deadline. So that has consequences for our group and it will make more people leave. I think its good IW Founders know whats going on.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:57 pm 

Jim Tarber wrote:
Arkady Arkright wrote:
OK. I take it that the IP addresses of the servers containing the destination regions are passed direct from server to viewer in dotted-quad form, and not acquired via a DNS lookup ?
Actually my point was that I don't think it would matter, because if the troubled DNS server is used to look up one region, it will be used to look up them all. You probably wouldn't be able to log in or ever see inworldz.com with a browser (much the way the Twitter client API was down for me, as well as the main twitter.com website).

Or we may be able to log and get content with an acceptable delay, while critical funtions like crossing would be too slow.

"Shedrupling University" science
YichTrains Elven Works Lysaer Gortax Robots

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:41 am 

Deleted for double entry (mouse cramp).

Last edited by Judy Dressler on Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:45 am 

I went to fly solo this morning my time (2AM IWT) over the straits.

Firestorm 4.7.9 (50527) Aug 4 2016 11:59:10 (Firestorm-Releasex64) with OpenSimulator support
Release Notes

You are at 139.9, 115.3, 1.1 in I'z Straits 36 located at vm-1-8.inworldz.com (198.61.243.8:9020)
SLURL: http://places.inworldz.com/I%27z%20Stra ... /140/115/1
(global coordinates 249,740.0, 256,371.0, 1.1)

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz (3103.62 MHz)
Memory: 12287 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 SP1 64-bit (Build 7601)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 750 Ti/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 21.21.0013.7557
OpenGL Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 375.57

RestrainedLove API: (disabled)
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.47.0 OpenSSL/1.0.1i zlib/1.2.8
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.8
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Ex 4.44.61
LLCEFLib/CEF Version: 1.5.3.FS6-(CEF-WIN-3.2526.1366.g8617e7c-32) (Chrome 47.0.2526.80)
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Settings mode: Firestorm
Viewer Skin: Vintage (Classic)
Font Used: Deja Vu (96 dpi)
Font Size Adjustment: 0 pt
UI Scaling: 1
Draw distance: 544 m
Bandwidth: 1300 kbit/s
LOD factor: 4
Render quality: High-Ultra (6/7)
Advanced Lighting Model: Yes
Texture memory: 1024 MB (1)
VFS (cache) creation time (UTC): 2016-10-3T13:14:3
Built with MSVC version 1800
Packets Lost: 1,057/749,861 (0.1%)

No issues when flying cruise, or even flying "fancy and fast" (acrobatics - dog fight like) over a 4 regions corner (fast out and re-entry on multiple regions). Never lost controls or was unseated. No abnormal delays to note either.

So we seem back to what we had, but nothing more than what I tested also on Straits (and my regions on test code) before the release of "avatar as a prim" update. This is only my own perception.

The vertical bump is still there.

Quality of this candidate release should be first confirmed by a mass test with many participants and all kind of physical vehicles. Anyone can call "scramble".

Nothing else to say today.
Over and Out.
:kittyyarn:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:48 pm 

Judy Dressler wrote:
No issues when flying cruise, or even flying "fancy and fast" (acrobatics - dog fight like) over a 4 regions corner (fast out and re-entry on multiple regions). Never lost controls or was unseated. No abnormal delays to note either.

The vertical bump is still there.
Thanks for that testing. Good, that is all as expected with the fixes in this update, and the goal of this version.

Judy Dressler wrote:
So we seem back to what we had, but nothing more than what I tested also on Straits (and my regions on test code) before the release of "avatar as a prim" update. This is only my own perception.
While that is somewhat true, the crossing fixes don't have anything to do with the avatar-as-a-prim updates in the previous release. The crossing failures fixed in this update have been a problem for many months, possibly a year, and in fact the code for the problems addressed has been present since we first supported scripted vehicle crossings. Something may have changed in the last year to reveal these more frequently, and to users that is a bad thing, but in terms of fixing something that happened irregularly in the past, that only made the longstanding problems easier to reproduce (and hopefully fix). But now that the crossing failures and reliability issues appear to have been addressed, these fixes for longstanding problems will make crossings more reliable than they have ever been.

So now we can move on to other issues like the region performance on crossings. That could be just about anything, for example it may be related to more and more mesh objects, since it seems the CPU usage is directly related to the generation of physics meshes for the objects crossing. That particular one is a very tough problem to solve; OpenSim is making changes to mesh handling, to force mesh creators to upload physics models with the mesh, and that's not going over too well. We're not doing that, although we may need to do more to cache or pre-calc some of the data.

So the investigation to improve crossings will continue. But in the meantime we have a significant incremental improvement for crossings reliability. :geek:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:51 pm 

Aren't the physical shapes calculated once and for all? (if no physical mesh is provided)

"Shedrupling University" science
YichTrains Elven Works Lysaer Gortax Robots

Page 28 of 29 [ 283 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next