InWorldz

Where your Dreams are our Vision!

It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 7:37 pm | All times are UTC - 6 hours
 Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Length of the prim name, has it changed?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:03 pm 

I am looking at a script called
"Timeless Linked Door Script by Timeless Prototype"
It stores the open and closed parameters for a door in the prim name and description.
The owner of the door tells me it used to work, and it continues to work as long as they don't reset the scripts.

When I look at the script, I see it trying to store a hundred bytes or more in the prim name, which is limited to 63 characters, so the string is truncated. When you reset the script it notices something is wrong and refuses to work.

Did something change recently? Did IW allow longer prim names and only recently start truncating them to the correct maximum size of 63 characters?

Post subject: Re: Length of the prim name, has it changed?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:45 pm 

Oh wow, I found the answer to the mystery. I found a newer version of this script dated 2008 that works better. With the script was this note:
Quote:
NOTE: As of Jan 31, 2008 all object names are truncated to 63 characters. (as per Jira SVC-674). This means there was no longer enough room in the object name to save the door configuration unpacked. It now removes extra characters from the values stored and converts the rotations to Euler representations. If an object is being updated with this newer version of the script the /door opened and /door closed configuration will have to be redone (not a big deal since the values will be truncated and it will break anyway if you do anything to reset the script).

So the old version could set up the door and appeared to work for a while until you reset the script and it tried to read the prim name. Amazing that the old version of the script has survived until now. If you want the "latest" version of this door script, go get it here:
http://lslwiki.net/lslwiki/wakka.php?wakka=LibraryTimelessLinkedDoor

Post subject: Re: Length of the prim name, has it changed?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:53 pm 

Yes, LL changed the SL servers to truncate the text string fields. It was seen as a possible denial-of-service vector in Mantis 1931, so IW was changed to match the same restriction in December of 2013. So if there was more data stored in there prior to that change, it wouldn't be possible to save the data back with changes after that date. However the storage was limited to 255 characters, so I believe it could continue to fetch up to 255, even today, if it's stored there.

In hindsight, we probably should have limited the text of both the name and description fields to 255 characters. I don't think there was any attack vectors available from this, and any thing less than 255 was not a backwards-compatible change for content, as we can see here. Both of those fields are limited to 255 characters in the database schema and so any fetch of the name or description wouldn't have returned more than that anyway, at least after a region restart. It could be that SL changed it so that it would be safe even prior to a region restart, however we could have matched that safely with max lengths of 255 and no compatibility issues with the existing content. So a very belated apology for matching the LL limits in that change 3 years ago.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]