InWorldz

Where your Dreams are our Vision!

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:57 am | All times are UTC - 6 hours
 Page 1 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Question about Bandwidth
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:17 pm 

I have no clue really what bandwidth represents and only know it is currently effecting playback of sounds in objects contents. (maybe other things I haven't noticed too.)
So I'm looking for some info as to what it represents. Just Region performance? My internet connection?

My region is one of four connected regions. The bandwidth on my region is "red light". Running 960 - 1064 constantly. Same thing on another of the 4 connected but not the other two. I went to a IW Sandbox2 and was greenlight on bandwidth.

I checked on my region.....Estate/Debug/Get Top Scripts thinking it was a bad script but none show.

Any ideas, explanations, information, tips for me?

Thanks,
Boo

Post subject: Re: Question about Bandwidth
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:00 pm 

What about Top Colliders, Boo?

I recently found myself sliding not walking and my AO not working - where the bandwidth usually oscillates between 20 and 40 (except after a TP) it kept shooting up to 1000 every second or so.

Checking the colliders indicated a big linked build was the problem as it had lots of frame-prims embedded in the wall. Delinked most of it and made everything except the floors and steps phantom and it went back to normal.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:57 pm 

Gerrard Winstanley wrote:
What about Top Colliders, Boo?

I recently found myself sliding not walking and my AO not working - where the bandwidth usually oscillates between 20 and 40 (except after a TP) it kept shooting up to 1000 every second or so.

Checking the colliders indicated a big linked build was the problem as it had lots of frame-prims embedded in the wall. Delinked most of it and made everything except the floors and steps phantom and it went back to normal.

Thanks Gerrard for that awesome insight. Checking now and making everything that possibly can be phantom into phantom.
i have one sky build and the floor has a "score" of 140. Is that really bad or ok?
Anyone have any links to information regarding this topic of "colliders?

It does seem as the more i make things phantom, the less bandwidth is being consumed so; so far so good. You rock, Gerrard!!! thankies!!!

Edited to add ---> To anyone reading this. The suggestion Gerrard gave me, helped immensely. Bandwidth is now down to a steady 710-740. I'm going to continue turning things phantom as it certainly does seem to be working.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:13 pm 

Hi Boo. If you are talking about your sim statistics bar....
"Bandwidth: How much data is being transferred between your computer and the Second Life world. This number varies wildly depending on what bandwidth settings you've used, where you are inworld, what's going on, and whether you're still loading some things (objects/textures/etc) that are in your field of view. If bandwidth is 0kbps, something may be wrong (you may be partially disconnected). "

So usually when you first enter a sim or log on and are loading lots of stuff, textures, etc. It will show on the high end, then taper off the longer you are there, if there are not a lot of changes or people coming in and out.

for full explanation of all on it see:
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Statistics_Bar_Guide

Teal's Garden Shop - Dreamwalker (221,209,23)
Teal's Tiny Shoppe @ Raglan Shire (202,186,265)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:45 pm 

Thanks Teal. you rock too!!!
Love learning about the "techie" stuffs.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:52 pm 

"... made everything except the floors and steps phantom and it went back to normal."

"... awesome ... making everything that possibly can be phantom into phantom."

Umh, don't overdo it on the phantom, ok, you guys? Sometimes I'd rather bounce off a wall than plunge through it. Like when I'm trying to make that corner going up the stairs to the second floor of the men's store at IDI, yanno?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:44 am 

One of the worst sources of CPU crunching activity is collision detection and propagation. The issue is not whether things are phantom or not, it is whether prims are linked to other prims that people walk upon. Every movement you make requires the physics system to determine what else is affected. So, if you have your entire 1200 prim building linked to its floors, think about all the checks that have to be done every single time someone moves. Do this: unlink your floors and steps from the rest of the structure. If you have a huge floor place upon it a bunch of 10x10m or 20x20m invisible unlinked prims. Then when you have 40 people visiting you, the collision search stays within each of those prims. Much lower lag will ensue. A big bonus is if you have a main floor with land underneath it. Raise the land to be level with the floor. Use a land flattener to accomplish that. Then unlink the floor prim and make it phantom. Now people will be standing on the land (but it will look like they are standing on the main floor). No collisions travel across land. I did this in a tavern in SL and changed it from a laggy place with 15 people to a nearly no lag place with 40 people. A similar issue applies to physics based objects. If you create an arena or archery range, be certain that the walls where collisions are likely to happen are unlinked.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:51 am 

Thanks for that advice too Balpien. I'm going to try that also today.

The wealth of information and talent in IW amazes me daily.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:45 am 

Well, I've gone around unlinking tons of things, especially floors and stairs but something just is not right.

My region used to be in the green for bandwidth then about 3 days ago it started in the red. (I've had a restart too). Now when I check Estate/Debug/Top Colliders the highest one is a single prim, hollow sphere, all by itsefl at 256 height. There is nothing in it. It really is a lone prim up in the air. How could that possibly have a collision score of 136868 when I am the only one on the region and i was at over 3,000 m high when I hit the "get top collider" button?

This is just odd, odd, odd. Bandwidth going between 970 and 1114!

I'm at a total loss now as to what to do.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:52 am 

Balpien Hammerer wrote:
{useful stuff}
Sounds as if the best plan for building is to, when you're sure you're finished, unlink everything not requiring linking, and lock it.

Page 1 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next