InWorldz

Where your Dreams are our Vision!

It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:13 am | All times are UTC - 6 hours
 Page 3 of 3 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Communication with residents
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:55 am 

Jim, we did not "dared" to propose working on the server. But if Inworldz is willing to do this, and it is possible at a small cost, then it is all good.

This would not be needed often, but invaluable when it happens. For rollouts, of course, because we have many new residents who are not aware of all the mechanics behind the scene. But if a large issue like the one with sit targets happens, (or griefing), this would also avoid a lot of questioning and people not knowing where to seek help.

"Shedrupling University" science
YichTrains Elven Works Lysaer Gortax Robots

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:07 am 

Judy Dressler wrote:
Jim Tarber wrote:
Judy, I like that idea (quite a bit). It's definitely doable. And we could provide "normal" notices/announcements like grid rollouts/twitter/updates separate from urgent/breaking/important announcements.
So this is already buried?
No, why would you say that? The two ideas aren't mutually-exclusive, we can do both, and perhaps even tie them together. I have some ideas for how to sync them automatically.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:08 am 

Yichard wrote:
Jim, we did not "dared" to propose working on the server. But if Inworldz is willing to do this, and it is possible at a small cost, then it is all good.

This would not be needed often, but invaluable when it happens. For rollouts, of course, because we have many new residents who are not aware of all the mechanics behind the scene. But if a large issue like the one with sit targets happens, (or griefing), this would also avoid a lot of questioning and people not knowing where to seek help.
Yes, relatively small cost for a nice gain when we need it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:34 pm 

I vote for the "text alert or hyperlink in chat" that folks will see AFTER they login to InWorldz.

Also Jim's idea of not keeping a counter, but showing it each time you login until the dev/founder clears it makes sense. Would keep folks from accidentally missing it.

Maybe the text could be colored red and made BOLD for emphasis and readability? At least the first line or headline text. Even better if you can include hypertext to any forum thread relating to the issue at hand for folks who wish to get in-depth info.

I also like Judy's idea of linking a board (the one Mike Chase created maybe) with text relating to a current technical problem or issue. The only downsides I can see with this method is that not everyone will see a board every day and the current boards are somewhat high LI especially for folks who rent land.

Just my 2 cents.

Lexxy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:19 pm 

We keep a copy of the events board located between our main store and TFSL for everyone's convenience since both locales draw a pretty fair amount of traffic. We would be quite happy to feature this board significantly (More signage etc, ) if announcements important to the grid as a whole were featured as well as the entertainment type announcements it currently features. I can't imagine why *any* merchant would disagree with the same sort of policy. Finally it is *entirely* within the mission of TFSL to do our utmost to keep visitors informed of events which are pertinent to their full enjoyment of our little world since, similar to Judy and Sunny's Explorer HUD, TFSL is and always will be a totally free service devoted to helping others the best way we can.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:24 pm 

I was thinking of using the same system "bloop" notice that has the sound and is used when a region is shutting down. I think some viewers even have an option to shake the screen, if I recall correctly.

I was originally thinking of trying to link those two types but on further thought, I like the content for login notice vs board being separated. The login alert should really be an attention-getter and mostly for urgent important grid-wide notices only (often none to report), while the board could be whatever the most important item is (or maybe most important 3 items or something like that) even if low-priority. For example, if the fall festival events were on, it could provide a link to the forum thread with the schedule, but not necessarily try to alert everyone on login like an urgent grid-wide notice. It can't really be the norm to get notified on login or residents will start tuning out of those notices.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:17 pm 

You mean one system for say emergencies and one for more Important InWorldz news?

Sounds good to me. I definitely think people would love to be more informed about things.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:46 pm 

Jim, a little detail: we are often afk, or in another window. In this case, you can shake the screen and all, it will not work. What we need is that the alert remains in the middle of the screen, as long as the user does not clear it manually.

"Shedrupling University" science
YichTrains Elven Works Lysaer Gortax Robots

Page 3 of 3 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3