InWorldz

Where your Dreams are our Vision!

It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 7:39 pm | All times are UTC - 6 hours
 Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Who can hear the InShape messages?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:08 pm 

It looks like InShape normally works by sending messages on the COMMAND_CHANNEL to scripts in a vehicle that you are seated on.
Do only vehicles that you sit on get the messages?
Can you listen for them in an attachment?
Can a prim on the sideline hear them?
If so, how far away can they be heard?
Can other people's scripts in prims listen to the messages and see how hard I am working out?

Post subject: Re: Who can hear the InShape messages?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:59 pm 

I'll get a better set of answers out on this at the weekend, but yes the device you sit on listens for pulses that come on a specific channel via the viewer as if you (the avatar) is saying them. These pulses are interpreted by the device according to whether you you say you are running or walking (or various other means of exercise) and they adjust the speed of movement along the predefined route.

To ensure that the only device that moves is the one you are "sat" upon, the script only takes input from the rider of that prim (as detected by the script when you sit/unsit. The devices also support being linked, with the "pilot" script in each prim and the "engine" script in the root prim. Each pilot script listens to the pulses sent from its rider. The device speed is then taken as an average across all of the "occupied" links.

In theory you could use a listener to intercept those incoming pulses but they wouldn't mean very much on their own, and their meaning to the device depends on which mode you choose.

Hope that helps for now. I'm working on some outstanding things for those scripts next week, including a boat version of the course constructor and rider device, a bike device, a proper "starter pack" with instructions on how to make a course on your regions, a rider device rezzer, and versions of recorders and rider objects for tinies and dinkies if I can.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:44 pm 

I'll just add that the entire point is to let other people's objects receive the data, with standard scripting methods, so that they can provide InShape-enabled devices in their region for you to use. The data is only: your phone moved. And it moved again. Okay it moved again. And if someone is sitting on an InShape-enabled device that's moving their avatar around, it's fairly obvious that their device is moving in the real world (or their avatar would not be). In other words, you can determine most of the same info just by looking at the avatar.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:33 pm 

Jim Tarber wrote:
I'll just add that the entire point is to let other people's objects receive the data

I am concerned that the devs might add security to prevent, say someone from finding out how hard you are working out. If the messages are only sent from an avatar to a vehicle (no matter who it belongs to) the avatar is seated on, that would do most of the InShape functions I have heard described. But it would not allow others to snoop.

Some people may want that extra privacy, to the contrary I am hoping that the devs have NOT restricted access to the InShape messages. I hope that ANY nearby script can hear them because I want to to a bunch of things that I have not heard described. Like a smartwatch that glows different colors if your exercise rate goes up. If the messages are restricted to objects that you are sitting on, then my smartwatch (an attached object) will not get the messages. How about objects on the side of the track that react in a similar way to your avatar going by? That requires that the messages look like normal unrestricted messages sent with llSay (although they come from avatars).

If, as I hope, any nearby script can hear the InShape messages, then I still want to know HOW NEAR? Can the messages be heard only 10, 20, 50 meters away, or anywhere in the region?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:48 pm 

There's no special support for InShape in the region servers themselves, so it's using the equivalent of normal LSL script functions. Tranq will have to be the one to answer officially; I haven't looked at the actual source code for processing the data and connecting it to InWorldz. So I'm not sure if it's using a Say, Shout, RegionSay etc, but if this is something the wearer would have attached, it shouldn't matter what the range is, they are wearing it. (I would be surprised if it was anything other than RegionSay.) There is no limitation on it being something sat upon that I am aware of, and no move to add such a restriction. The information on your avatar movement data (and by extension the InShape movement data) is not considered to be personal, and in fact it's important for others in the region to see, and for objects to be able to monitor it. A race board might show how many cycles per minute the leaders are producing in an meter or graph that would show that one racer started to tire after the third lap, for example. In a race, all of this kind of data and statistics are public. In the real world, it wouldn't be strange for Nike to report stats in track shoes, like how many strides they took. And then there's the whole FitBit craze.

Another application would be... remember the "mudwrestling" thing in SL where you had to bang on some keys as fast as you could to win the wrestling match? It would show +1 to contested A, then +3 to contestant B when they had a burst, etc. I could see something like that based on InShape input instead of your keyboard. That would be cool, even if it was shaking your phone. :geek:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:17 am 

Jim Tarber wrote:
A race board might show how many cycles per minute the leaders are producing in an meter or graph that would show that one racer started to tire after the third lap, for example. In a race, all of this kind of data and statistics are public. In the real world, it wouldn't be strange for Nike to report stats in track shoes, like how many strides they took. And then there's the whole FitBit craze.

Another application would be... remember the "mudwrestling" thing in SL where you had to bang on some keys as fast as you could to win the wrestling match? It would show +1 to contested A, then +3 to contestant B when they had a burst, etc. I could see something like that based on InShape input instead of your keyboard. That would be cool, even if it was shaking your phone. :geek:

This is the first time I have heard someone else suggesting non-vehicle applications, and I'm glad to hear it is possible.

InShape has been frustrating for me for the expected reason (not out of beta yet) but also for several other reasons:

When it was first announced I was very excited and started thinking of several vehicles I wanted to build (like a white water river raft where you need at least two people 'cause it doesn't move unless someone paddles on each side).
So I went to the page to sign up for the beta program. Oh, how frustrating, they don't want scripters to write vehicles, or builders to make tracks, they just want people with exercise machines to test the ap . So I did not sign up and just waited. I considered lying and saying I had an elliptical, but it sounded like there were limited "slots" so I waited. And waited.

Well the wait has been so frustrating that my enthusiasm waned and I'm having difficulty getting it back. I'm not saying this to make you feel sorry for me, I'm suggesting this may have happened to a lot of people. Just an unfortunate result of the timing.

So finally Tranq announced the sources! Yay! So I went and looked. Interesting, this is a vehicle, does it work on attachments? External prims? What are the magnitudes of the numbers? What is the range of the messages? I resorted to reading the protocol document to answer all my questions. It consisted of one word: "TODO". How Frustrating! (Enthusiasm crashes again).

So finally Tranq uploaded some documentation! YAY! Oh, wait, it doesn't answer any of my questions. How frustrating.

All my questions could be answered in 5 minutes of testing. But there is no way to sign up. Just press the same request button to wait for a "slot" in the beta testing for the ap. How frustrating. (Enthusiasm crash again). So I know how to write vehicles, don't know if it works on non-vehicles, and if I write one I cannot test it because I'm not on the beta program and the web page still says you have to have an exercise machine. How frustrating! I have a real kayak (or two or 12), and I could get a waterproof bag for my smartphone and ducktape it to my paddle. But there is no cellphone connectivity most of the places I kayak...

I managed to drag my enthusiasm back up enough to consider writing a simulator for InShape. A script that sends fake InShape messages once a second! Or every time I click on a prim. (Exercising my index finger if nothing else). I did this for a few experimental scripts. But I could not finalize the scripts, because the simulator is not sending the messages from my avatar, they are coming from a prim with the wrong UUID. How Frustrating!

Then I hit on this trick: Dialog boxes send messages as if they were coming from the avatar! So I wrote the following script and used it to try running around the tracks that Dred Bram has set up. I can even reverse engineer InShape by trying different messages and see how the working vehicles respond! Then I can write my vehicles to respond in the same way! I learned that if you are walking and you stop, your avatar does not stop unless you send a "1,|0|0" message. But if you are running, and you stop, after a few seconds your avatar stops. Increasing the pulses per second does not seem to have any effect. Interesting. But incredibly frustrating that I have to spend so much effort reverse engineering this system!!!

Well, to help any other scripters who want to see if their InShape code is working, and who are not beta testers, here is a script that sends fake InShape messages:

//Simulate InShape
    //    Click on this regularly to fool InShape scripts into thinking you are working out
    // messages that start with 1 are walking, 2 means running.
    // I wear this on my hand and click the dialog box every few seconds. Click 1|1|1 to walk,
    // 1|0|0 to stop walking, 2|1|4 to run.

list mesags= [ "1|0|0", "1|1|2", "1|1|4",
     "2|1|1", "2|1|4", "2|1|8",
      "1|4|8", "1|5|8", "1|6|8"
    ];
{
    state_entry()
    {
        llListen(-129,"",llGetOwner(),"");
        llDialog(llGetOwner(),"send one of these InShape messages",mesags,-129);
    }
    on_rez(integer param)
    {
    }
    touch_start(integer num)
    {
    }
    listen( integer channel, string name, key id, string message )
    {
    }
}

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:52 am 

KayakerMagic wrote:
All my questions could be answered in 5 minutes of testing. But there is no way to sign up. Just press the same request button to wait for a "slot" in the beta testing for the ap. How frustrating. (Enthusiasm crash again). So I know how to write vehicles, don't know if it works on non-vehicles, and if I write one I cannot test it because I'm not on the beta program and the web page still says you have to have an exercise machine. How frustrating! I have a real kayak (or two or 12), and I could get a waterproof bag for my smartphone and ducktape it to my paddle. But there is no cellphone connectivity most of the places I kayak...

If you have an Android or iOS smartphone then you can test your scripts with the "Inworldz Inshape" app.

Inworldz Inshape for Android
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.inworldz.inshape

InShape app accepted on iOS!
http://inworldz.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=177251#p177251

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:17 am 

I can understand the frustration Kayaker, but InShape is a project like any other, with the people involved having to fit the work into their busy schedules. Since nothing like this has been done before, it has to be developed, tested and tuned entirely from scratch.

I will be working on assembling two kits next week. The first will be for those who wish to set up their own "tracks" and the other will be a developer pack that includes the "engine" and "pilot" scripts and a HUD that emulates the incoming signals from the mobile apps in a quick and simple way.

A lot of the delays here have been at my end, due to other commitments and health issues. I apologise for that, but as a scripter yourself I am sure you can understand the struggles of balancing these things and unknowable answer to "when will it be ready?"

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]